Monday, 14 December 2009

Miguel Molina giving it all in SEA Games

Jun Lomibao
Business Mirror
http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19665:mm-giving-it-all-in-last-seag&catid=31:sports&Itemid=65

VIENTIANE—Miguel Molina is well on his way to repeating as Best Male Athlete of these 25th Southeast Asian (SEA) Games.

He also says he is on his way to completing his last SEA Games stint and final SEA Games participation in 2010 in Guangzhou.

And the high-tech suits?

Molina says he doesn’t like them. Just a bit, maybe.

“2011 SEA Games? A spectator, maybe,” said Molina, 25, when asked if he would continue representing the country.

“…I don’t think it’s fair to other Filipino swimmers and to myself [if I stay on the team], because I want to give it a hundred percent each time I’m here,” explained Molina, already winner of two gold medals—the 200 and 400 meters individual medley, two shy of the four he won in Nakhon Ratchasima two years ago that earned him the Best Male Athlete trophy.

“I’m actually looking at the Asian Games as my last race. Who knows, maybe if everything goes well, I might continue. I know it’s just one year apart, but a year of training and swimming is such a long time. We’ll see,” he said.

The suits?

“Honestly? I don’t like them,” he quipped. “And the reason the times are better here is because of the suits.”

The RP tankers are using the $500-a-piece full- or knee-high Speedo LZR suits, Molina included. The Thais and Singaporeans use the same, while some don TYR high-techs, Arena, Blue 70 and J-Kid.

“They are a lot faster this time…because there’re so many SEA Games records being broken. The competition is a lot faster, I think a lot of it has to do with the new swimsuit people are wearing.

“But I don’t want to blame the swimsuits because they’ll be banned by next year. And I think it has helped a lot of swimmers who are not necessarily better but more powerful, less technique, less endurance. It helps them glide faster on the water, so I think it’s an advantage. It will be good that these suits are banned.”

“I don’t like the suits. It changes swimming. You don’t have to work as hard. For me, since I started using the suits in February, in a span of 10 months, it already changed my stroke,” said Molina, adding, “it affects your game.”

Molina swam the finals of the 200-meter breastroke on Sunday night. He will still swim the 200 free and 4x100 medley, hoping to win all to earn an unprecedented third-straight MVP trophy.

But the MVP trophy appeared farthest from his mind. He’s thinking retirement and when he does, he would like to be in a job where he is most relaxed and where he is most at home with—a desk job a hundred percent excluded.

As a coach?

Not really, he said. “But I tried a few months back when my coach had to fly to Hong Kong and I had to take over. But definitely, coaching is better than training,” he said.

As a lifeguard in a beach paradise somewhere?

“That will be good,” he said, smiling with eyes sparkling.

No comments:

Post a Comment